Gaia Gamma has been prepared to handle such things. Since release 3 there has been (a so far empty) chapter titled "Character Background". So far I never elaborated my ideas for this chapter. Now seems to be a very good time.
My idea for this chapter is to provide an additional option to customize characters. I will be using an idea inspired by the character generation process of later editions of Shadowrun: Each PC receives a total of 10 background points (BPs) that can be distributed among several options:
- the tech level of the community from which the character hails (from I to V - the technology of the Ancients at level VI probably won't be available)
- the size of the community from which the character hails (which will influence the availability of items, etc.)
- the wealth of the character (and his parents), which again influences his starting equipment and further options
- the inheritance of the character (he might own very special artifacts usually not available, etc.)
- special benefits (followers, land, a mutation of particular strength, membership in a cryptic alliance, etc.)
- great genes (more attribute points)
- excellent education (higher skill points)
I also believe that this rather modern approach does not conflict with my goals of creating an OSR game. Although it poses one problem: Character generation probably will take somewhat longer. To compensate for that I probably will also include a random variant of this so that your background options can be determined with a couple of quick die rolls.
I'm currently also not quite happy with the categories mentioned above and suggestions for better / other ones are very welcome! Basically the categories should allow for a wide variety of character options without overpowering individual characters.